Posted on 11 July 2022
Mā te whakaruruhau hei whakamana ~ Through shelter we empower
Habitat for Humanity New Zealand (HFHNZ) is a non-profit housing organisation working throughout NZ and the Pacific to build stability, strength and self-reliance through shelter. Habitat for Humanity has a vision of a world where everyone has a decent place to live; its mission is to bring people together to build homes, communities, and hope. We partner with government and also advocate politically and within the housing sector for improved access to decent, affordable housing.
Our international programmes team are responsible for developing, implementing, managing and evaluating HFHNZ’s international projects. The team also leads Habitat New Zealand responses to humanitarian and natural disasters with experience working after cyclones in Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, and Vanuatu as well as earthquakes in Nepal and Indonesia. The team is currently working with hundreds of families across the Pacific to help them build housing resilience and prepare for future disasters in partnership with the NZ Government.
Ideally, the role will be based with our team in Greenlane, Auckland, but we are open to considering candidates who are based outside of the Auckland region or candidates who are looking for some flexibility with their work hours. The role requires some international travel.
The International Programmes Lead is responsible for leading a small and capable team (headcount of 4) to ensure that our international development and disaster response work is of the highest standard, timely and according to our partner’s needs.
The International Programmes Lead maintains relationships and ensures mutual accountability in HFHNZ’s development work with field partners and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFAT). The ability to confidently represent HFHNZ with our local partners in the Pacific and at other relevant meetings such as the Council for International Development and the CID Humanitarian Forum is essential, as is the ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with our Affiliates, major donors and internal support teams.
Leading HFHNZ’s disaster response, the role is responsible for project managing our disaster response including coordinating between Habitat’s wider affiliate network, local partners and MFAT.
Candidates should have all or some of the following:
- 5+ years’ experience in international development, ideally with strong experience leading international development projects in the Pacific.
- Experience leading an organisations international disaster response.
- A Masters degree in international development or similar.
- An engaging coaching leadership style with proven people management experience along with the ability to focus a team on key priorities.
- Proven experience and success in writing proposal for international development funding along with experience managing Government reporting.
- Some exposure to monitoring and evaluating multi-year international development projects.
- A sound understanding of best practice international development.
- Sound financial competency, with the ability to manage budgets, grants and reporting responsibilities.
- Experience working in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Strong cultural competence, especially working with our partners in the Pacific.
- A genuine passion and commitment to join a socially minded and values driven team who believe that everyone deserves a decent place to live.
To discuss this opportunity in confidence please call Elke on 021 80 22 13 or to apply include a cover letter with your CV.