Posted on 10 January 2023
The Ministry for Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT), acts in the world to build a safer, more prosperous and more sustainable future for New Zealanders.
Kia hangai ake e te Manatu he ao-haumaru, ao-tonui, ao-pumau, ki te oranga tonutanga mo Aotearoa whanui.
- Practical, meaningful climate change work
- Two year Fixed term opportunity until 2025
- Wellington-based role with flexible working arrangements/hours negotiable
Help deliver New Zealand's expanded climate action activities in our region.
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the role
This role has a climate change focus - and in it you will have the opportunity to make a difference for some of the most vulnerable countries in the world.
Officially titled ‘Senior Adviser, Design and Delivery' this is essentially a relationship focused project/activity management role with a focus on delivery.
In this role you will deliver climate change mitigation and adaptation projects, and manage partnership relationships that will be driven from the International Development Cooperation (aid) Programme that sits within MFAT's Pacific and Development Group (PDG).
As the projects you'll be working on are mainly contracted to external parties, you will use your expertise, relationship and partnering skills to ensure delivery is undertaken successfully.
In particular you will:
- provide project management and leadership in the delivery of projects and activities (that may be executed by external parties), with the responsibility to drive project deliverables and outcomes across the project lifecycle while managing risk.
- sit in a wider team of thematic and policy colleagues and be responsible for timely, quality activity management in line with New Zealand's International Development Principles.
- work with international, national and regional agencies to deliver climate change and environment initiatives particularly in the Pacific context (some travel may be required).
Depending on the size of individual projects within the delivery pipeline, this role could work on one or multiple projects.
The appointment range for this role is $117,541 to $138,283 with the role band up to $159,025 total remuneration including employer contribution to Kiwisaver- negotiable depending on experience. We also offer support to training and development
Please note: This is not a Foreign Policy/diplomatic role. This is a ‘Corporate' role (known here as a Specialist role) based in central Wellington, NZ.
While it is not usual for specialist staff to be ‘posted' outside of NZ, from time to time a specialist role overseas becomes available at one of our embassies, high commissions, missions or consulates. To be considered for one of these positions you will need to apply and be considered via a competitive recruitment process.
If you have an interest in an MFAT foreign policy career you will be welcome to apply for this either via our graduate recruitment or mid-level foreign policy recruitment campaigns.