Posted on 05 May 2021
India has reported more than 300,000 new COVID cases for a 12th straight day, taking its overall caseload to nearly 20 million, while deaths rise by 3,417, reports Aljazeera today.
The country’s healthcare system has been completely overwhelmed, and Indian hospitals, morgues and crematoriums are struggling.
Many families have been left on their own to scramble for medicines and oxygen.
For the latest data, go to OurWorldInData.
(The actual number of cases is likely to be much higher than the number of confirmed cases – due to limited testing). A number of CID Members are running appeals to support India's COVID response:
- Child Fund New Zealand - Broader Covid19 campaign
- Christian World Service - Coronavirus Appeal
- Oxfam New Zealand - India Covid-19 Appeal
- Tearfund New Zealand - Covid-19 India Crisis Appeal
- UNICEF - Covid-19 Crisis in India Appeal
- World Vision New Zealand - Covid-19 Crisis Appeal
- Caritas - Covid-19 Pandemic Appeal
- ADRA - ADRA Responds in India
In addition, these NGOs (non-CID members) are also running appeals:
- CARE India (not-for-profit organisation, working in India for 70 years, focusing on alleviating poverty and social injustice)
- Sewa International (Hindu faith-based, humanitarian, non-profit service)
Please let us know if your organisation is also running a specific appeal for India - email firstname.lastname@example.org